In traditional Hindu Lunar Calendar, Ashada Masam is the 4th month of the year.
It is believed that Ashada Masam is very inauspicious and called Shunya Masam (Null Month).
In Tamil calendar it coincides with Adi Masam and usually comes in June – July.
Ashada Masam 2020 Dates
- Ashada Masam 2020, Starts on Monday, 22 June
- Ashada Masam 2020, Ends on Monday, 20 July
Importance and Significance of Ashada Masam
- Ashada Masam marks the beginning of Dakshinayana. Sun transits towards south and enters into Karkataka Raasi, called Karkataka Sankramana. This happens exactly six months after Uttarayanam.
- Chaturmasam, a holy period of four months starts on shayana ekadashi in Ashada masam.
- Ashada masam is the beginning of the Monsoon season and brings new life to the nature and farmers to cultivate the rice and grains. This is the main significance of the Ashada month.
- As it is believed inauspicious month, no holy occasions like marriages, griha pravesham are not performed.
- Newly married couples were not allowed to stay together. There is a scientific reason behind it, if the girl conceives during the Ashadam, she will give birth during the summer months. So the child and mother may go through the health problems due to heat.
- Girls and Women apply Mehendi on their palms and feet. The theory behind it is that climate change may affect the skin and cause skin problems; Mehendi (Sudanese Henna leaves) has an anti-bacterial and antifungal properties.
List of Festivals in Ashada Masam
- Puri Jagannath Rath Yatra
- Guru Poornima
- Gauri Vrat
- Palki Yatra
- Chaturmas Vrat
- Ashada Navaratri / Gupt Navratra / Gayathri Devi Navratri / Maa Shakambari Navratra
- Ashada Ekadashi
- Kokila Vrat
- Toli Ekadashi
- Chukkala Amavasya
Ashada Masam 2020 date, Ashada Masam 2020 start date and end dates, Ashadam 2020, Festivals in Ashada masam.