Ganesh Visarjan is the process of immersion of the Lord Ganesha idol in water. It signifies the end of the Ganesh Navratri and the return of Lord Ganesha to his abode, Kailash.
The word “Visarjan” is derived from the Sanskrit word “Visarjana” which means “to immerse”.
Ganesh Navratri or Ganesh Utsav celebrations start from Ganesh Chaturthi. And on the tenth day of the festival, which is also known as Anant Chaturdashi in Hindu month Bhadrapada people take Ganesh idols and submerge them in water.
The day typically falls in August or September and is celebrated with large public gatherings and processions, where devotees carry idols of Ganesh through the streets for the Nimajjanam or immersion.
Vinayaka Chavithi Vratha Katha – Vinayaka Vratha Kalpam in Telugu.
Ganesh Chaturthi is one of the most important festivals of the year. It is a time to celebrate the birth of Lord Ganesh, the elephant-headed god who is the son of Shiva and Parvati.
Ganesha Visarjan can also be done on the same day of Ganesha Chaturthi after Ganesha Puja.
The Significance of Ganesh Visarjan
As per Hindu scriptures Lord Ganesha was created from clay/earth and his symbolic idols are worshiped during the Ganesh chaturthi (Navaratri days). The immersion or Visarjan (Nimajjanam) ritual signifies the birth cycle of Lord Vinayaka.
Is Ganesh Visarjan recommended in Hindu Scriptures?
Generally, we perform pooja at home but these god idols or photos are not given prana pratishta. But in temples and pandals during the Vinayaka Chaturthi or Devi Navratri, these god idols are given prana pratishta (we will call the god to stay in the idol). In temples daily pooja and rituals are performed.
But, in Navaratri pandals, after the specific days of pooja completes we ill ask the god or goddess to leave for his/her place. All such idols should be sent out (not to keep in pooja mandir) with due respect and making sure the material will not come under our /anybody’s foot. So the most secured place is to put in water pond so it will loose its form (shape) and mix with normal mud.
Prāṇa pratiṣṭhā refers to the rite or ceremony by which a murti (vessel for the spirit of god) is consecrated in a Hindu temple, wherein hymns and mantra are recited to invite the deity to be resident guest, and the murti’s eye is opened for the first time.Wikipedia
It also teaches us that material wealth and worldly pleasures are only for the body and not for the soul.
The main purpose of Ganesh Visarjan is to thank Lord Ganesha for all his blessings and to seek his blessings for the future. It is also a way of paying our respects to Lord Ganesha.
While the immersion ceremony is an important part of the festival, it is also a time of sadness for many, as it signals the end of the festivities.
In recent years, majority of the idols are made up of chemicals and the people does not even care about the water or environment that gets polluted in the process after its submersion. We highly recommend and request all to use Eco-friendly materials to construct the idols.
Ganesh Visarjan 2022 Dates
Friday, September 9, 2022 – Anant Chaturdashi
- Chaturdashi Tithi Begins – 09:02 PM on September 08, 2022
- Chaturdashi Tithi Ends – 06:07 PM on September 09, 2022
Ganesh Visarjan Vidhi (Procedure)
- Before proceeding to Ganesh Visarjan the idol of Lord Shri Ganesh, a pooja (Uttarang puja) is performed by offering five items, namely deep (oil lamps), pushp (flowers), dhoop (incense), gandh (fragrance) and naivedya (food) to Ganpati. Chant Sri Ganesha Ashtothara Shatanamavali.
- Food/prasad is offered to the neighbors
- A swastika or a rangoli is marked on the a wooden track or on the base of a vehicle by pouring Ganges water on it
- Now put Akshat on the track and spread pink, yellow or red cloth on it.
- After laying the cloth, place the idol of the Lord Ganesha at that place.
- Offer flowers, fruits and modak or any sweet to the Ganesha and break a coconut
- Before leaving Ganesh ji, worship the idol duly.
- After that, tie money, durva grass, sweets and betel nuts in a silk cloth and keep that bundle near the idol of Ganesha.
- Now all the members of the house or community together give an aarti (Harathi) by chanting Ganapati bhajans oe singing aarti songs
- All the people together should offer namaskar and apologize to Ganesha saying that if we have done any mistake in this worship, O Lord, forgive us.
- Now take the idol of Bappa for immersion. Keep in mind that while doing the immersion, other things coming out of the idol of Bappa should not fall here and there. Let that also flow into the water with respect.
Ganesh Visarjan Mantra
Most of the devotees chant “Ganapati Bappa moriya..” but you can also chant the below Mantras.
People also chant Sri Ganesha Ashtothara Shatanamavali.
Ganesh Visarjan Mantra in English
Yagnena yagna mayajantha devaa:
Thaani dharmaani pradhamaa nyaasan,
theha naakam mahimaana ssanchamthe
yatra poorve saadhyaassamthi devaa:
Mushika vaahana modaka hastha,
Chaamara karna vilambitha sutra,
Vaamana rupa maheshwara putra,
Vighna vinaayaka paada namasthe
Ganesh Visarjan Mantra in Hindi
Mantra 1 in Hindi
यग्नेन यग्न मायजनता देवाः
थानी धर्माणी प्रथमा न्यासं,
तेह नाकाम महिमाना ससंचामथे
यात्रा पूर्वे साद्यास्संति देवाः
Mantra 2 in Hindi
चामरकर्ण विलम्बितसूत्र ।
विघ्नविनायक पाद नमस्ते
The immersion of the statue is often accompanied by chanting, music, and dancing.
6 Most Popular Places to Celebrate Ganesh chaturthi & Nimajjanam