Ekadashi (11th day) of Krishna Paksha (Waning Phase of the moon) during the month of Margashirsh is known as Utpanna Ekadashi, it is also Known as Uttpatti Ekadashi.
It is celebrated to mark the victory of Lord Vishnu over demon “Murasura“. According to some legends, the birth of Ekadashi Matha took place on this day.
The main deities of Utpanna Ekadashi are Mata Ekadashi and Lord Vishnu.
Utpanna Ekadashi Dates from the Year 2019 to 2025
- Utpanna Ekadashi 2019 Date – Friday, 22nd November
- Utpanna Ekadashi 2020 – Thursday, 10th December
- Utpanna Ekadashi 2021 – Tuesday, 30th November
- Utpanna Ekadashi 2022 – Sunday, 20th November
- Utpanna Ekadashi 2023 – Friday, 8th December
- Utpanna Ekadashi 2024 – Tuesday, 26th November
- Utpanna Ekadashi 2025 – Saturday, 15th November
The festival is celebrated on the same day but Hindu month names are called with the different name in different states.
In Tamilnadu, it falls in the month of Karthigai Masam or Aippasi. In Kerala, it is celebrated on Vrischika Masam or Thulam. whereas in the states of Andhra Pradesh, Gujarat, Karnataka, Telangana and Maharashtra it falls in the month of Karthika (Kartik).
***In Northern states, it falls in the month of Margashirsh, because they follow Purnimant Calendar.
Read more about Amant and Purnimant Calendars.
Rituals To Do On Utpanna Ekadashi
- Devotees offer prayers to the main deities of Utpanna Ekadashi.
- Observing Ekadashi Vrat.
- Fasting is observed by devotees on Utpanna Ekadashi until sunrise of Dwadashi (Next day i.e, 12th day).
- Offering donations to Brahmins and poor in the form of food, clothes or any other life essentials.