Importance & Significance of Pradosh Vrat and Pradosh Fast
Pradosham is thirteenth day of every fortnight, i.e, Trayodashi tithi in Hindu Calendar. It is dedicated to Lord Shiva.
The word Pradosh or Pradosham means eliminating sins. Pradosh Vrat or Pradosha Vratam or Pradosham is a Vrat or puja for the worship of Lord Shiva and Parvathi.
Generally people observe fast (Pradosh vrata) on every Thrayodashi Tithi i.e., Krishna Paksha Thrayodasi and Shukla Paksha Thrayodasi (13th Lunar Day falling in Krishna Paksha and Shukla Pakshas) in lunar Month.
Pradosh Kaal is the time when the day and the night meets (evening), it’s known as an auspicious time for worshipping Lord Shiva. Pradosh fast is considered to be very important, as this fast gives in the best results.
Read Pradosh Vrat Katha.
Types of Pradosh Vrat
- Nithya Pradosh – The evening time on all days.
- Paksha Pradosh – Evening time of Shukla Paksha Chathurthi
- Maasa Pradosh – Evening time of Krishna Paksha Thrayodashi in every Month
- Maha Pradosh – On Krishna Paksha Thrayodashi which falls on Saturday
- Pralaya Pradosh – On every 13th Lunar day of Krishna Paksha and Shukla Paksha
All the seven days of the week provided different benefits at the time of Pradosham.
Pradosh Vrat according to Days
- Sunday – Ravi Pradosh Vrat for Longtivity and Good health
- Monday – Som Pradosh Vrat for the fulfillment of desires
- Tuesday – Bhauma (Mangal) Pradosh Vrat to get relief from diseases and health enhancement
- Wednesday – Budh Pradosh Vrat for fulfillment of all desires
- Thursday – Guru Pradosh Vrat for suppression and destruction of enemies
- Friday – Shukla Pradosh Vrat for Happiness and success of life partner
- Saturday – Shani Pradosh Vrat to get blessed with children and to get relief from all disease